Woocommerce Menu

Prnjavor > Banjaluka

Stage 4  21/04/2019 - 175 km - Hilly Stage

STAGES

 

Prnjavor Town in Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

The name of the Town of Prnjavor is of Greek origin and comes from the word Pronija, which in the Byzantine administrative system indicating the secular and church property. Prnjavor was probably a property of the nearby Orthodox monasteries. The fact is that in the immediate vicinity of Prnjavor there are monasteries Stuplje, Liplje, Donji Detlak, Osovica.

It is believed that Prnjavor was created in the 16th century, although the first written trace of Prnjavor settlement dates back to the end of the 17th century, and it is found in an Austrian military report by an unknown author, from 1688 to 1699. It records that in the area between Vrbas and Ukrina there were, among other, two smaller settlements: Prnjavor (Bernjavor) and Lessnia, small marketplaces, each having abour 80 households. The name of Prnjavor is also found in a witing from 1725, and there is a more detailed description of Prnjavor in other writing, from 1780. In the XIX century, the name of Prnjavor in written sources is much more common.

In the second half of the nineteenth century, a trade and merchant families were developing, so Prnjavor was more closely connected with other areas in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and even beyond.  From that period Prnjavor has been experiencing greater urbanization and development in architectural and constructional terms. In addition to the sacred objects of modest appearance that existed in earlier times, the significant objects were built, contributing to the physiognomy of the place. A particularly important period was from 1896 to 1904, when one new building was built in Prnjavor, serving as the headquarters of the District Heads appointed by Austro-Hungarian Empire. The hospital, the hotel “Popović”, expanded streets and sidewalks were also built at that time.

Mr Darko TOMAŠ, Prnjavor Mayor

Banjaluka , Republic of Srpska Capitol City

As the university, economic, finance, political and administrative center of the Republic of Srpska, which is one of the two entities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Banja Luka is the second biggest city in Bosnia and Herzegovina with the population of 180.053 (results of the 2013 census of population and housing units).

Situated in a valley at an elevation of 164 m above sea level, where the Dinaric Alps from the south descend into the Pannonian Basin in the north, Banja Luka has a temperate continental climate with the prevailing influences from the Pannonian plain. It belongs to the Central European Time zone (GMT +1) and has a temperate continental climate. The average annual temperature reaches 10,7°C, whereas the average January temperature is 0,8ºC, and July 21,3ºC.

Due to many of its green surfaces – parks and tree-lined roads, Banja Luka is also known as the city of greenery. It is also called a city of young people, sport and culture. It used to be a strong economic center with developed industry – the machinery-, electrical-, textile-, food- and cellulose industry in particular. The past war calamities that struck the city in the 1992-1995 period and the post-war society transition resulted in the collapse of a majority of the industrial capacities and markets.

The post-war Banja Luka started to open up more extensively to market economy countries, directing its development prospects towards the progress of trade, tourism, agriculture and food industry.

The city`s holiday, Day of Banja Luka, is celebrated on April 22, which is the date when Banja Luka was liberated from fascism in WWII.

Mr Igor RADOJIČIĆ, Banjaluka Mayor

BosnianEnglishFrenchGermanItalianRussianSpanish